|Work Schedule||Full time/40 hours a week – Monday to Friday; predominately on-site. Ability to work overtime if needed.|
|Work Location||Los Angeles.|
|Compensation||$2,403.85-$2,788.47/week (equivalent to $125,000.20- $145,000.44 annualized)|
About The Company
At Center Theatre Group, we believe theatre creates an extraordinary connection between artists and audiences. As one of the nation’s most influential non-profit theatre companies, we provide the broadest range of theatrical entertainment in the country at the Ahmanson Theatre, the Mark Taper Forum, and the Kirk Douglas Theatre. Whether it’s producing new work through our robust artistic development programs or engaging people of all ages and backgrounds across Los Angeles through our community and education programs, we put theatre at the center of it all.
Center Theatre Group commits to creating a safe space where the values of diversity, equity, access, and inclusion are rooted in all levels and aspects of our work. We aim to attract, nurture and retain staff in a supportive home where we can be our best selves. We celebrate our commonalities and embrace our differences in order to ensure that everyone has access to our work onstage, behind the scenes, and in the community.
Responsible for managing general accounting functions including cash management, payroll and financial reports, preparation of organizational tax and information returns and annual Federal and State independent contractor returns, and oversight of Federal and State quarterly and annual payroll returns. The Controller ensures the integrity and accuracy of financial data and reports, provides financial analysis and makes recommendations on policy and procedures, and also assists staff throughout the company with the monitoring of budgets and conducting good business practices.
- Supervise staff in the daily operations of the accounting, payroll, budget oversight, and treasury functions.
- Monitor comprehensive system of fiscal controls, regularly audit their ongoing implementation and effectiveness, and augment or revise as necessary.
- Manage general ledger, subsidiary ledgers, cash flow, and bank reconciliation processes.
- Ensure timely and proper recording of all income, expense, and balance sheet entries in the general ledger.
- Oversee and monitor accounts payable and accounts receivable.
- Ensure timely and accurate deposits of payroll and withholding taxes with the appropriate governmental agencies.
- Ensure timely and accurate preparation of union benefit reports and remittance of the related payments to union benefit providers.
- Ensure timely and accurate preparation and submission of quarterly and annual payroll tax returns and related forms, and annual Federal and State independent contractor filings.
- Ensure timely and accurate preparation and submission of the annual retirement plan census and required reports to the retirement plan service provider.
- Generate financial reports in compliance with GAAP or other applicable standards.
- Oversee and coordinate financial and payroll-related audits.
- Assist CFO with strategic operational and financial decisions and various reporting needs.
- Attend and provide support to the Board Finance and Audit Committee meetings.
- Demonstrate an ongoing commitment to CTG’s equity, diversity and inclusion initiatives and values and demonstrate an ongoing commitment to an anti-racist work culture.
- Other duties or projects as assigned.
Center Theatre Group provides a dynamic working environment in which duties and responsibilities may change. Employees are expected to be flexible and responsive to changes in the scope of their duties.
- In-depth knowledge of accounting and especially not-for-profit accounting and tax issues.
- Strong ability to prioritize and communicate. Must maintain exceptionally well-organized schedules and work plans.
- Proven ability to supervise and delegate tasks to staff.
- Strong analytical, technical, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work with multiple deadlines and priorities in a fluid, fast-paced environment. Must be a self-starter, able to handle a variety of tasks concurrently.
- Bachelor’s degree, in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, or related field.
- CPA and/or MBA preferred.
- Strong understanding of non-profit accounting in compliance with U.S. GAAP, internal controls, and compliance regulations.
- High levels of professionalism, discretion, and clear judgment.
- Previous experience in an Arts Organization is preferred.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with cross-functional staff.
- Excellent communication skills (both written and verbal), sense of humor, flexibility, and a strong drive for results.
- 10+ years of progressively responsible experience, including successful supervisory responsibility, preferably for non-profit organizations with annual revenues of $5 million -$50 million.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and the ability to operate a computer accordingly. Proficiency in Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Access required.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Dynamics and Management Reporter accounting software.
- Experience with Tessitura, Emburse/Certify, and ActivityHD/Activity PR strongly preferred.
All employees are required to pass a background check.
CTG strongly recommends that all employees stay up to date with their COVID-19 vaccinations and boosters.
CTG offers a comprehensive compensation and benefits package including retirement plan options, escalating paid vacation, sick, personal days and holidays, and health benefits including medical, dental, vision, life, and long-term disability insurance, flexible spending accounts, and employee assistance program.
How To Apply
Tell us why you are the ideal person for this job.
Please send your resume and cover letter along with salary desired to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please be sure to include the position title in the subject line of the email. Due to the heavy volume of resumes received, emails that do not include the job title in the subject line of the email may not be considered. In the cover letter, please indicate how you became aware of this position, e.g., name of website, current employee, other source.
No phone calls please. We will contact qualified individuals to set up interviews.
Center Theatre Group is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any applicant on the basis of race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, color, ancestry, disability, age, national origin, pregnancy, veteran/military status, genetic information or any other basis prohibited by law. CTG will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance. We support, promote and embrace a diverse workforce.