Deputy Director of Marketing
|Reports to||Director of Marketing|
|Direct Reports||Associate Director of Marketing Operations,
Associate Director Advertising & Creative Content,
Sr. Manager Marketing Events & Partnerships
|Work Schedule||Full time/40 hours a week – Monday to Friday; some evenings and weekends required.|
|Work Location||Los Angeles. Hybrid work from home and in person but subject to change.|
|Compensation||Salaried, starting at $2,307.70/week, equivalent to $120,000.40 annualized|
About The Company
At Center Theatre Group, we believe theatre creates an extraordinary connection between artists and audiences. As one of the nation’s most influential non-profit theatre companies, we provide the broadest range of theatrical entertainment in the country at the Ahmanson Theatre, the Mark Taper Forum, and the Kirk Douglas Theatre. Whether it’s producing new work through our robust artistic development programs or engaging people of all ages and backgrounds across Los Angeles through our community and education programs, we put theatre at the center of it all.
Center Theatre Group commits to creating a safe space where the values of diversity, equity, access, and inclusion are rooted in all levels and aspects of our work. We aim to attract, nurture and retain staff in a supportive home where we can be our best selves. We celebrate our commonalities and embrace our differences in order to ensure that everyone has access to our work onstage, behind the scenes, and in the community.
Deputy Director of Marketing
Lead marketing team and supervise marketing activities for all three theatres. Team would include:
- Associate Director Marketing Operations
- CRM Manager
- Associate Director Advertising & Creative Content
- Social Media Associate
- Marketing Associate
- Senior Manager Marketing Events & Partnerships
- Marketing Events Coordinator
- External Advertising Agencies
- External Marketing Consultants
Owned & Paid Media
- Responsible for leading all owned and paid media efforts which would include website, CRM email strategy and paid media campaigns (Digital, Broadcast, OOH).
- Oversee $6M in advertising spend, ensuring that advertising tactics are bespoke to all productions and driving ROI.
- Set KPI for each paid media channel.
- Oversee all owned media tactics, including strategic CRM efforts, website optimization, and social channels.
- Oversee media plans for all three theaters with a knowledge of the current media landscape. Use field data to help inform how audiences are consuming media.
- Oversee external media buying teams and evaluate agency performance.
- Work with Digital Product Manager on website updates, customer journey, and website look and feel.
- Work with Associate Director Advertising & Creative Content, Graphics Department, and in-house Digital Content Producer to craft top-of-the-line creative content, including video content, photography, and printed collateral.
- Work with the Communications team on B-roll shoots and show photography to make sure show captures are best in class.
- Oversee Social Media team with an eye to grow audiences and engagement across all platforms, including TikTok.
- Strive to find a balance with Institutional Social Media and show related content.
Ticket Strategies & Pricing
- Work with Ticketing team and Associate Director Marketing Operations on ticketing strategies (discounts and dynamic pricing) to optimize both revenue and paid attendance.
- Lead on Audience Loyalty efforts through both pricing and creative strategies
Budgeting & Sales Pacing
- Work with Ticket Sales Director and Associate Director Marketing Operations on show budget projections using data (field and in-house) and past sales history to budget show sales.
- Oversee sales pacing and enable strategies to make best efforts to bring ticket revenue in on budget.
Data & Analysis
- Lead department data and analysis, working with Marketing operations team to analyze data on each production, ensuring that marketing tactics are driving success.
- Identify external agencies to work on research, data, and surveying to ensure that CTG is accurately analyzing data.
- Present data to internal teams, leadership, and the Board of Directors.
Events & Audience Outreach
- Oversee marketing events, and work with team on strategies for developing new audiences.
- Hire and lead outside marketing consultants on multi-cultural marketing efforts.
- Work with Audience Engagement team on the creation and execution of engagement events.
- Craft an Equity in Marketing & Ticketing Plan, set benchmarks, and present progress quarterly.
- Liaison with concessions vendor, Music Center, and area DTLA restaurants and retail.
- Create branded marketing programs (i.e. Backstage Club, The Crew)
- Pilot and develop new programs for emerging audiences.
- Work with IT and Ticketing teams to ensure that customer service is best in class, and look to new technologies to improve performance.
- Marketing lead for all Ahmanson productions. With the potential for $40M in this theater, the Deputy Director would work to ensure that this theater’s marketing efforts are creative and effective.
- Act as primary leader to the show’s representatives and ensure that those relationships are well managed.
Taper & Douglas
- Work with Director of Marketing on new efforts to revitalize these theaters, which would include branding and audience development to bring in new audiences to these two essential theaters.
- Work with Art & Design Director and Director of Marketing on institutional branding efforts.
Marketing & Communications Team
- Work with Marketing & Communications team leadership (Ticket Sales Director, Art & Design Director, and Institutional Communications Director) on department strategies and top-level planning.
- Interface with Finance, HR, IT, Operations, and others to ensure team is efficient, productive, and set up for success.
Other Cross-Departmental Teams
- Work with the Director of Education and Deputy Director of IA to ensure that marketing is meeting those departments' needs. Optimize internal team relationships.
- Work with Director of Marketing on all external partnerships, including American Express and media partners (KCRW and KTLA).
- Work with Artistic team on community partners to align with each production, and fulfill any partner deliverables.
Board of Directors
- Support Director of Marketing with Board reports and presentations.
- Expertise in Tessitura
- Media buying experience
- Digital marketing and content creation experience
- Supervisory experience
- Excellent presentational skills
- Broadway touring experience
- Ability to sit, type and work at a computer for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift, carry 30lbs.
- Willingness and ability to work 40 hours per week. Flexibility to work overtime as needed.
All employees are required to pass a background check.
It is CTG’s intention to have a workforce which is fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (including booster). New employees will be required to provide proof of full vaccination including booster (if eligible) prior to the first date of employment.
CTG offers a comprehensive compensation and benefits package including retirement plan options, escalating paid vacation, sick, personal days and holidays, and health benefits including medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance, flexible spending accounts and employee assistance program.
How To Apply
Tell us why you are the ideal person for this job.
Please send your resume and cover letter along with salary desired to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to include the position title in the subject line of the email. Due to the heavy volume of resumes received, emails that do not include the job title in the subject line of the email may not be considered. In the cover letter, please indicate how you became aware of this position, e.g., name of website, current employee, other source.
No phone calls please. We will contact qualified individuals to set up interviews.
Center Theatre Group is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any applicant on the basis of race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, color, ancestry, disability, age, national origin, pregnancy, veteran/military status, genetic information or any other basis prohibited by law. CTG will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance. We support, promote and embrace a diverse workforce.