Director of the Annual Fund
|Reports to||Deputy Director of Advancement|
|Status||Exempt, Benefits Eligible|
About The Company
Center Theatre Group is one of the largest, most influential theatre companies in the country by virtually every measure. Over the past 50 years, we have entertained millions of audience members and produced some of the most important shows of our time, many of which have been World premieres and have gone on to award-winning Broadway runs and beyond. At the Ahmanson Theatre, Mark Taper Forum, and Kirk Douglas Theatre, we produce and present the broadest range of theatrical entertainment in the country. Over the past decade, we have commissioned 65 shows and produced 40 World premieres, making us one of the nation’s leading producers of ambitious new works. And our robust education and community programs have long embedded us in the rich culture of Los Angeles. Center Theatre Group strives to make Los Angeles a theatre destination for audiences and artists from around the world—and to make a major impact on the city.
The 180+ full- and part-time staff members who make all this possible are passionate about this place and their work. Whether it's pre-show gatherings and Staff Nights at our theatres, meet-and-greets with cast and crew, or our annual holiday party, our staff is engaged with the art and one another. Center Theatre Group commits to creating a safe space where the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion permeate all levels and all aspects of our work. We aim to attract, nurture and retain staff in a supportive home where we can be our best selves. We celebrate our commonalities and embrace our differences in order to ensure that everyone has access to our work onstage, behind the scenes, and in the community.
The Institutional Advancement Department (IA) is crucial to the success of Center Theatre Group, with responsibility for raising 35% of the revenues each year and supporting the work of the Board of Directors. As such the IA Department is at the core of communicating the Company's mission and building a broad base of community support. Under the 18-year leadership of its Director, Yvonne Bell, the department has a remarkable track record of success. Center Theatre Group is now in the quiet phase of a Capital Campaign, which includes a new building to house all operational and rehearsal activities.
The Director of the Annual Fund oversees the successful operation of a robust individual annual fund program including solicitation, cultivation and stewardship of Inner Circle donors up to the major gift level. This includes providing leadership for solicitations via phone/mail/email/web and a staff-to-donor prospect management system. In addition, this position maintains a personal portfolio of 50+ Major Gift prospects.
- Oversees the design, management, and execution all acquisition, renewal, and benefits programs for individual donors who give up to $20,000 annually.
- Works with the Director of Major and Planned Gifts, and the Advancement Operations staff to ensure that the donor pipeline for Center Theatre Group is robust, strategically integrated and coordinated.
- Creatively integrates direct mail, email, website, social media, tele-funding, special appeals and ticket related gifts to maximize donor giving.
- Works closely with the Marketing Department and consulting firm TRG Arts to ensure income from patrons is maximized and that Institutional Advancement and Marketing efforts are fully integrated.
- Directs the analysis of information on all solicitation, upgrade and renewal efforts for individual donors.
- Prepares and monitors the Annual Giving Income and Expense Budget.
- Carries a major gift portfolio of 50+ donors, moving qualified prospects along a cultivation path to solicit cash and planned gifts within a 12–18 month time period.
- Insures a robust tele-funding effort by providing leadership to the Tele-funding Manager to ensure that an efficient and effective campaign achieves maximum fundraising results.
- Supervises the Associate Director of Annual Giving in achieving success through maximizing donor engagement, fostering a strong level of customer service for our donors, and achieving the financial goals of the annual fund.
- Supervises direct reports with the goal of enhancing employee satisfaction and job growth, and encouraging a collaborative team approach within the department and throughout Center Theatre Group.
- Serve as an integral member of the Institutional Advancement team, participating in overall goals, while establishing a culture of working together to achieve the mission of Center Theatre Group.
- Ensures that all printed materials are well-written and proofed including but not limited to letters, proposals, invites, mailing lists, reports.
- Evidence good work habits including but not limited to being on time, following Center Theatre Group workplace policies, arriving prepared for meetings and events, being responsive and following through on all donor, supervisor and staff requests.
- Regularly attends department, Center Theatre Group-wide, and other meetings as necessary to perform the functions of the job.
- Exhibits appropriate phone, email and in-person etiquette, and responds to phone and email messages in a timely fashion.
- Exhibits a positive attitude in relation with donors and fellow staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university. Advanced degree/fundraising certifications preferred.
- In-depth knowledge of individual fundraising with a preference to candidates with five (5) to seven (7) years of progressively responsible fundraising experience in a non-profit cultural organization.
- Ability to work independently and handle multiple tasks simultaneously in a fast paced environment.
- Outstanding interpersonal, organization, and communication skills, and the demonstrated ability to work well with people of diverse backgrounds.
- Computer skills: Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel, in addition to a strong working knowledge of database systems.
- Must be able to effectively and efficiently operate office equipment including telephones, copiers, fax machines, computers, etc.
- Must be able to lift and carry 20 pounds (i.e. reports, programs, brochures, etc.).
- Must have own transportation to attend meetings and events off site.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends.
- Knowledge and passion for the theatre arts is preferred.
- Enthusiasm, dedication, a sense of humor and a drive to succeed.
All employees are required to pass a background check.
The position will receive a competitive compensation.
Center Theatre Group also offers a comprehensive benefits package including retirement plan options; escalating vacation, paid sick, personal days and holidays; and health benefits including medical, dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, employee assistance program, and life and long-term disability insurance.
Introduce yourself by telling us your story and why you are the ideal person for this position. Please e-mail your resume and cover letter along with salary requirements to: CTGjobs@CTGLA.org. Please be sure to include the position title in the subject line of your email. Due to the high volume of submissions received, emails without all of the above information may not be considered.
In your cover letter, please indicate how you became aware of this job opportunity, e.g. name of website, current employee, other source.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. We will contact qualified candidates to set up interviews.
Center Theatre Group is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any applicant on the basis of race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, color, ancestry, disability, age, national origin, pregnancy, veteran/military status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by law. Center Theatre Group will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance. We support, promote, and embrace a diverse workforce.
Qualified and interested applicants should submit resumes with salary history / requirements to:
- Email CTGJobs@CTGLA.org (Subject Line should be the job title)
- Via Post Mail:
Center Theatre Group
Attn: Human Resources
601 W Temple Street
Los Angeles, CA 90012