|Reports to||Assistant Controller|
|Work Schedule||Full time, Monday to Friday; with flexibility to work overtime if needed|
|Work Location||Los Angeles|
|Compensation||Starts at $1,394.24/week, equivalent to $72,500.48 annualized.|
|Department||Finance & Accounting|
About The Company
At Center Theatre Group, we believe theatre creates an extraordinary connection between artists and audiences. As one of the nation’s most influential non-profit theatre companies, we provide the broadest range of theatrical entertainment in the country at the Ahmanson Theatre, the Mark Taper Forum, and the Kirk Douglas Theatre. Whether it’s producing new work through our robust artistic development programs or engaging people of all ages and backgrounds across Los Angeles through our community and education programs, we put theatre at the center of it all.
Center Theatre Group commits to creating a safe space where the values of diversity, equity, access, and inclusion are rooted in all levels and aspects of our work. We aim to attract, nurture, and retain staff in a supportive home where we can be our best selves. We celebrate our commonalities and embrace our differences in order to ensure that everyone has access to our work onstage, behind the scenes, and in the community.
As a nonprofit theatre, our mission has always been to reflect the community we serve and to harness the power of art to transform society. To that end, our organization is committed to bettering ourselves and embracing equity, access, and inclusion in all our work. In addition, we are committed to promoting an environment for our staff, artists, audiences, and colleagues that actively works against racism, harassment, and discrimination.
The Senior Accountant provides analysis and processing to support all facets of the organization, including Balance Sheet, Revenue and Expense reconciliations, internal and external reporting, maintaining the general ledger of accounts and providing guidance on business transactions in accordance with nonprofit GAAP.
- Understand underlying business and related processes as the foundation for position responsibilities.
- Cross train (and accept cross-training of) other positions above and below Senior Accountant position.
- Troubleshoot issues with ticket and contributed revenue recognition, expense transactions, balance sheet and cash flow, ensuring processes are running smoothly and are in compliance with established deadlines.
- Assist in budget preparation which includes uploading approved departmental budgets into Great Plains.
- Ensure bank reconciliations are completed in a timely manner to facilitate month-end closing by deadline.
- Assist with the month-end, quarter-end, and year-end close processes, which includes preparation of journal entries, account reconciliations, general ledger analysis, and audit schedules.
- Monitor balance sheet and provide monthly account reconciliations with analysis of adjustments needed to general ledger.
- Propose journal entries based on review of supporting reconciliations and schedules.
- Maintain fixed asset schedule and prepare monthly depreciation/amortization entries.
- Prepare sales and use tax monthly (pre)payments and quarterly returns.
- Prepare schedules for federal, state, and local tax and informational returns.
- Compile financial data for surveys and grant reporting.
- Provide initial review of monthly financial reports for reasonableness and accuracy.
- Analyze and research income statement variances to budget and balance sheet fluctuations and provide explanations for management reporting.
- Demonstrate an ongoing commitment to CTG’s equity, diversity and inclusion initiatives and values and demonstrate an ongoing commitment to an anti-racist work culture.
- Perform such other accounting, financial, or administrative tasks as may be required from time to time by the Assistant Controller and/or Controller.
Center Theatre Group provides a dynamic working environment in which duties and responsibilities may change. Employees are expected to be flexible and responsive to changes in the scope of their duties.
Knwledge and essential skills:
- Minimum 7+ years of work experience in corporate accounting or nonprofit finance department.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or business.
- Strong understanding of Balance Sheets and Financial Statements.
- Strong knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP); non-profit GAAP experience a plus.
- Computer proficiency in:
- Microsoft Excel (including a desire to utilize Pivot Tables and V Lookups)
- Great Plains Accounting Software (preferred)
- Tessitura Software (a plus)
- Payroll Processing Software (a plus)
- Strong problem-solving abilities including the desire to take the initiative on implementing improvements.
- Well organized; deadline and detail-oriented; able to thrive in a high-volume environment.
- Able to work independently as well as collaboratively within Finance and outside Finance.
- Positive and energetic attitude towards work and the organization.
- Solid writing and oral communication skills.
- Regular and reliable attendance.
- All employees are required to pass a background check.
- CTG is not able to provide relocation assistance for this position.
- The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by the personnel so classified. Management reserves the right to revise or amend duties at any time.
- Staff members are expected to consciously and continuously promote the mission, values, programs and impact of the organization.
The position will receive a competitive compensation package.
CTG offers a comprehensive compensation and benefits package including retirement plan options, escalating paid vacation, sick, personal days and holidays, and health benefits including medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance, flexible spending accounts, and an employee assistance program.
It is CTG’s intention to have a workforce which is fully vaccinated against COVID-19, including booster. New employees will be required to provide proof of full vaccination including booster (if eligible) prior to the first date of employment.
How To Apply
Sell yourself by writing a cover letter that describes why you are the best person for this job. Send resume and cover letter along with salary requirements to: email@example.com. Please be sure to include the position title in the subject line of the email. Due to the heavy volume of resumes received, emails that do not include the job title in the subject line of the email may not be considered. In the cover letter, please indicate how you became aware of this position, e.g., name of website, current employee, other source.
No phone calls please. We will contact qualified individuals to set up interviews.
Center Theatre Group is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any applicant on the basis of race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, color, ancestry, disability, age, national origin, pregnancy, veteran/military status, genetic information or any other basis prohibited by law. CTG will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance. We support, promote and embrace a diverse workforce