Openings, ovations and rainbows! Oh my!
The stories theatre lovers have been talking about this week.
1. The Ahmanson's new season announced: Danny DeVito is one of the 2013-2013 headliners by Alysia Gray Painter [NBCLosAngeles.com]
March 18, 2013
A dressy night out at the Music Center to catch a major musical or play with top-notch actors has been a Los Angeles tradition for the better part of a half century. And the Center Theatre Group and The Ahmanson are set to deliver again for the 47th season, which kicks off on Sept. 24. ...
2. Review: A high-voltage End of the Rainbow by Chris Willman [LATimes.com]
March 21, 2013
Playing Judy Garland in the months leading up to the actress' fatal 1969 overdose, Tracie Bennett spends much of _End of the Rainbow _horizontal — though rarely for more than 10 seconds at a time. ...
3. _The Nether_opens Sunday at the Kirk Douglas Theatre by CTG [Press Release]
March 20, 2013
The world premiere of The Nether, a gripping new play by Jennifer Haley that explores the moral complexity of our increasingly virtual existence, opents at Center Theatre Group's Kirk Douglas Theatre this Sunday, March 24, at 6:30 p.m. ...
The Los Angeles Drama Critics Circle added to the list of accolades racked up by the Center Theatre Group during the city’s drama awards season on Monday. ...
A new musical with a deceptively suggestive title, Hands on a Hardbody, opened Thursday at the Brooks Atkinson Theatre in Manhattan. With a book by Doug Wright, lyrics by Amanda Green, and music by Trey Anastasio and Amanda Green, the show follows 10 "hard-luck Texans ... fight[ing] to keep at least one hand on a brand-new truck in order to win it. In the hilarious, hard-fought contest that is _Hands on a Hardbody _only one winner can drive away with the American Dream."
The show is billed as an all-American musical, but will Broadway audiences agree? Check out what the critics are saying:
- Stage Review: Hands on a Hardbody by Clark Collis [EW.com]
- Legit Review: Hands on a Hardbody by Marilyn Stasio [Variety.com]
- Hands on a Hardbody: Theater Review by David Rooney [HollywoodReporter.com]
- _Hands on a Hardbody _on Broadway: What did the critics think? by Jamie Wetherbe [LATimes.com]
- Personal stories and a shiny red paint job in Hardbody by Chris Jones [Articles.ChicagoTribune.com]
- Hope is a thing with tires by Charles Isherwood [Theater.NYTimes.com]