Openings, Broadway debuts and cast changes set theatre world abuzz
Oscar-nominee Michelle Williams steps into Liza's shoes, and Justin Bartha spreads a little Sunshine at the Ahmanson Theatre. Plus, a look at the forthcoming recordings of August Wilson's Century Cycle.
In the House
1. Justin Bartha Joins LA Production of Sunshine Boys, Starring Danny DeVito and Judd Hirsch by Adam Hetrick and Andrew Gans [Playbill.com]
September 4, 2013
Justin Bartha will join Danny DeVito and Judd Hirsch in the Center Theatre Group production of Neil Simon's The Sunshine Boys, which will begin performances Sept. 24 in Los Angeles.
Thea Sharrock (Equus, After the Dance) stages the comedy ...
Theatre on the Road
2. Michelle Williams to Make Broadway Debut in 'Cabaret' by Patrick Healy [ArtsBeat.Blogs.NYTimes.com]
September 3, 2013
Michelle Williams, the three-time Academy Award nominee and former star of the television series “Dawson’s Creek,” will make her Broadway debut as Sally Bowles in Roundabout Theater Company’s revival of “Cabaret,” the theater confirmed on Wednesday.
The 24-week run will ...
3. Fun Facts About Zachary Quinto And The Cast Of Broadway's "The Glass Menagerie" by Arielle Calderon [BuzzFeed.com]
September 5, 2013
BuzzFeed sat down with the cast of Tennessee Williams [sic] Broadway show The Glass Menagerie. Here are some fun things we learned about the talented group. ...
Onstage in L.A.
4. More theater, music and dance announced for new Annenberg Center by Deborah Vankin [LATimes.com]
September 6, 2013
The Wallis Annenberg Center for the Performing Arts, which will finally open its long-awaited doors for a gala celebration in October, has announced additional programs for its inaugural season.
As previously announced, the 2.5-acre, two-theater arts complex in Beverly Hills will debut ...
August Wilson News
5. STAGE TUBE: Directors Hudson, Rashad and More Talk August Wilson Live Recordings by Stage Tube [BroadwayWorld.com]
August 23, 2013
While "Lee Daniels' The Butler" is generating Oscar buzz for its chronicle of several decades of African-American political life, two-time Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright August Wilson masterfully documented a full century of the African-American experience in the 10 plays the [sic] make up the American Century Cycle.