As a choreographer for theatre, Maria Torres creates movement and production numbers that propel the story forward or help transition between scenes. In this Working in Theatre video, Torres, who recently choreographed our 2017 production of Zoot Suit, explains what it takes to do the job well: an understanding of the piece’s story, content, and characters, as well as the individuality of the actors and dancers—all while challenging yourself to step outside the box.
Learn more about choreography, dance, and movement:
- Maria Torres got her choreography education started at The Ailey School.
- Learn the basics of a career in choreography at Sonkanu.
- Sign up for a free online course in actor movement techniques featuring Meyerhold and Biomechanics, both staples in dance and movement education.
- Find inspiration and learn new techniques at DanceTutorialsLIVE on YouTube.
- Learn more about the national union for choreographers, the Stage Directors and Choreographers Society.