Disney Musicals in Schools
Disney Musicals in Schools is a capacity-building initiative of Center Theatre Group that develops sustainable theatre programs in Los Angeles County public elementary schools.
The goals of Disney Musicals in Schools are to:
- Create sustainable musical theatre programs in urban elementary schools.
- Provide school faculty with the training and tools necessary to support student performance and production, and to empower them to do so.
- Develop a critical awareness and appreciation of the arts within the school.
- Develop a strong community, including students, parents, faculty, staff, and neighbors.
- Expose students and school faculty to the wide spectrum of skills that are developed when producing a piece of musical theatre, including critical thinking, problem solving, ensemble building, communication, self-confidence, and interpersonal skills.
Disney Musicals in Schools presents a special opportunity to introduce the collaborative art of musical theatre to your school, strengthen your arts programming, and develop partnerships among students, faculty, staff, and the greater community.
Please note: Recipient schools will receive various levels of support over a period of three years. Since the goal of the program is to build sustainable theater programs, applications from schools that have participated in the program in the last five years will not be considered.
Disney Musicals in Schools Program Overview
Center Theatre Group will select up to five Los Angeles County public elementary schools to participate in this year’s Disney Musicals in Schools program. Schools with Title 1 status are eligible to apply.
Selected schools will receive:
- Free performance rights (valid for one year) to a 30-minute Disney KIDS musical of their choosing (available shows include 101 Dalmatians, Aladdin, The Artistocats, Cinderella, The Jungle Book, The Lion King, Sleeping Beauty, and Winnie the Pooh).
- Free ShowKit materials, including a director’s guide, student scripts, accompaniment and rehearsal CDs, a choreography DVD, and cross-curricular activities.
- Free in-school support from a team of two Center Theatre Group Teaching Artists (during a 90-minute school visit each week).
- The Teaching Artists will serve as production and creative advisors who will train and empower the School Team to run the program themselves.
- The Teaching Artists will guide the School Team through both production management (developing a rehearsal schedule, running auditions, and addressing technical and physical production requirements) and the creative execution of the show (direction, choreography, acting, and design). They will also advise the School Team on school and community engagement opportunities.
- Disney KIDS Musicals are designed to be produced on any budget. Center Theatre Group Teaching Artists will work with selected School Teams to create a production within the budget the school is able to allocate to this project.
- Lastly, the selected schools will participate in a culminating Disney Musicals in Schools Student Share Celebration. At this event, each school will share selections from its production at the Ahmanson Theatre at The Music Center in downtown Los Angeles.
Selected schools will be expected to:
- Produce a 30-minute Disney KIDS musical involving 3rd–5th graders both on and off stage.
- Identify a School Team comprising at least four teachers and staff members, who will partner with the Center Theatre Group Teaching Artists and oversee and manage the program from beginning to end. The selected School Team will receive on-site support from a team of two Center Theatre Group Teaching Artists who will visit the school each week. The School Team will also run a 90-minute rehearsal on their own once each week.
- Commit to a full semester of rehearsal/production in an after-school setting.
- Host a site visit for the selection team during the application process.
- Provide space, time, materials, and resources for students and the School Team to rehearse and prepare for the musical production.
- Provide opportunities for the whole school, parents, and larger community to be connected to the production.
- Hold a minimum of one public performance of the musical.
- Participate in the culminating Student Share event at the Ahmanson Theatre at the Music Center in Downtown Los Angeles, and provide transportation for participating students, staff, and chaperones.
Performance rights, ShowKit materials, Professional Development, and onsite Teaching Artist support will be provided at no charge to selected schools. Selected schools will be responsible for a production budget of any amount, determined by the school. Disney KIDS Musicals are designed to be produced inexpensively, and have been successfully mounted within a budget of $300–$1500. Center Theatre Group Teaching Artists will work to maximize the school’s production budget by using reclaimed and existing materials, such as cardboard boxes and tee-shirts brought from home. Any additional costs, such as after-school payments for school staff, will be the school’s responsibility.
Applications are now open for the 2018/19 Disney Musicals in Schools program.
Disney Musicals in Schools Timeline
|August 13, 2018||Applications open|
|September 28, 2018||Deadline extended—applications due|
|October 1–19, 2018||Finalist school site visits (60 minutes)|
|October 24, 2018||All applicants notified of status|
|November 9, 2018||Selected school orientation and training (all day at The Music Center Annex in Downtown Los Angeles)|
|November 2018 – April 2019||Rehearsals and onsite support from Teaching Artists|
|April 2019||School performances|
|April 29, 2019||Disney Musicals in Schools Student Share Celebration|