August Wilson Monologue Competition
Center Theatre Group has been the Los Angeles home for the National August Wilson Monologue Competition since 2011. More than a contest, the August Wilson Monologue Competition is an educational journey that includes workshops with teaching artists where students hone their acting and storytelling skills; auditions where theatre professionals offer feedback to all participants; and an introduction to August Wilson and The American Century Cycle.
The health and safety of all participants remains our top priority so all events will be virtual until it is safe to meet in person.
Current high school students in grades 10, 11, and 12 from Los Angeles, Ventura, Orange, Riverside, and San Bernardino Counties are eligible to participate (verify your county here in this free program. Students must be enrolled in high school the whole school year and may not be older than 19 on the day of the National Finals (May 3, 2021) to participate in all stages of the program. Students will also need to have access to a Wi-Fi enabled device such as a personal laptop or cell phone and will be required to set up a free Zoom account to participate in the Orientation Session and Semifinal Auditions.
Registration for the 2020/2021 August Wilson Monologue Competition is available here and due no later than October 15, 2020 by 10am. Please make sure that you are available on all the program dates listed below, have read through the Frequently Asked Questions, and selected an approved monologue before you complete this form. If you have questions, please contact us by email.
Please begin the registration process only if you are able to attend all program dates.
- Orientation Sessions
- Students must attend one of the following sessions on Zoom to receive important information about how to prepare for their self-recorded preliminary audition.
- Monday, October 19, 2020 at 5pm
- Wednesday, October 21, 2020 at 5pm
- Saturday, October 24, 2020 at 11am
- Preliminary Auditions
- Self-recorded video submissions are due November 5, 2020 at 10am. Students will receive information on how to upload and submit their audition video following their Orientation Session.
- Semifinal Auditions
- Live auditions will take place on Saturday and Sunday, December 12 and 13, 2020 on Zoom. A specific audition call time will be assigned to each advancing student.
- Awards Ceremony
- A virtual ceremony will take place on Sunday, January 10, 2021 from 12:00-1:30pm on Zoom for student finalists and their families.
- Training and Rehearsals*
- Saturdays, February 6, 20, 27, and March 6, 2021 from 1:30-6:30pm at Center Theatre Group in Downtown L.A.
- Regional Finals*
- Tuesday, March 9, 2021 at 7-9pm
Students will need permission to miss school this day.
- National Finals*
- Monday, May 3, 2021 at the August Wilson Theatre in New York
Travel to New York includes full days, May 1–4
Students will need permission to miss school for these days.
- *These events will only be held in person if it is safe to do so and in accordance with CDC guidelines for gatherings and travel.
Before you apply, please read through our Frequently Asked Questions. If you have further questions, please contact us by email....
Students registering for the August Wilson Monologue Competition must select a monologue from the approved August Wilson Century Cycle monol...
August Wilson was born Frederick August Kittel on April 27, 1945, to mother Daisy Wilson, a cleaning lady who primarily cared for August and...
The Four B's In a 1999 interview with The Paris Review, playwright August Wilson stated that his work was most heavily influenced by “my f...
We host free workshops, meet-ups, and a variety of other events for young people age 13–23 who love (or are curious about) theatre. Learn about all these opportunities, receive access to special ticket offers, and more.Join Now