CENTER THEATRE GROUP, USC, UCLA, CHAPMAN UNIVERSITY AND LA STAGE ALLIANCE PRESENT THE VIRTUAL GOING PRO CAREER FAIR ON SATURDAY, APRIL 18
All Aspiring Theatre Professionals Can Access Free Workshops and More From Their Phone, Computer or Tablet
Center Theatre Group invites all aspiring theatre professionals to participate in the virtual Going Pro Career Fair on Saturday, April 18, 2020, starting at 9:30 a.m. Co-presented by USC School of Dramatic Arts; the UCLA School of Theater, Film and Television; Chapman University College of Performing Arts; and LA STAGE Alliance, the free event will now be conducted in a virtual format which is available for all to access from their personal devices (phone, computer or tablet). While the event is free, reservations are recommended in order to receive updates about the fair and how to log on. To RSVP or for more information, please visit CTGLA.org/GoingPro. Reservations will be accepted through Thursday, April 16 at 5 p.m.
“When it became clear we needed to restructure the Going Pro Career Fair as a virtual event, we reached out to the dozens of theatre professionals, higher education partners and workshop facilitators who had already signed on to be a part of the day, asking them to re-imagine their participation for a completely digital format,” said Center Theatre Group Next Generation Initiatives Director Camille Schenkkan. “We’re deeply grateful for the resiliency and flexibility of our community. We’ve been able to translate an in-person event with 400+ guests into something that’s equally exciting: a totally virtual experience, with many parts open to anyone who wants to participate.”
The Going Pro Career Fair is intended to help current undergraduate and graduate students prepare for a professional theatre career; however, the virtual fair is open to any and all interested parties. This year, the fair will focus on people: from agents and managers to artistic collaborators. Attendees will learn how to cultivate their network, make informed business decisions and celebrate their own artistry. To provide insight on these topics, the following workshops and panels will be offered in a virtual format:
- Intro & Resource Roundup – 9:30 to 10 a.m.
- The People You Hire Panel: Agents, Managers & More – 10 to 11 a.m.
- Finding Your Collaborators Panel: Making Theatre with Friends (Or Not) – 11:15 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Conflict Resolution for Stage Managers & Others – 12:15 to 1:15 p.m.
- 100% That Boss: Entrepreneurship for Artists – 1:30 to 2:30 p.m.
- Success and Self-Care for Artists – 2:45 to 3:45 p.m.
In addition to the virtual workshops, which are available to everyone, the Going Pro Career Fair will also provide the following exclusively to current undergraduate and graduate students:
- Speed Mentorship – 12 to 4 p.m. – Students who RSVP in advance can sign up to participate in a 20-minute virtual meeting session with a working arts professional. Sessions will be filled on a first come, first served basis.
- Self-Tape Auditions – Organized by LA Stage Alliance, there will be 100 slots for students to provide self-tape auditions to be seen by producers and directors from Los Angeles theatre companies. These slots will be filled first by currently registered students with any remaining openings filled on a first come, first served basis for those who RSVP.
- Free Headshot Sessions – Center Theatre Group will provide 150 free mini-headshot sessions over the course of two days. Priority will be given to students who registered early. Sessions will take place later in the spring, with exact date to be announced.
- Free Backstage Subscription – Students who RSVP to the Going Pro Career Fair will receive info on how to claim a free year-long subscription to Backstage. The offer is only available to new subscribers.
Center Theatre Group, one of the nation’s preeminent arts and cultural organizations, is Los Angeles’ leading nonprofit theatre company, which, under the leadership of Artistic Director Michael Ritchie, Managing Director Meghan Pressman and Producing Director Douglas C. Baker, programs seasons at the 736-seat Mark Taper Forum and 1600 to 2100-seat Ahmanson Theatre at The Music Center in Downtown Los Angeles, and the 317-seat Kirk Douglas Theatre in Culver City. In addition to presenting and producing the broadest range of theatrical entertainment in the country, Center Theatre Group is one of the nation’s leading producers of ambitious new works through commissions and world premiere productions and a leader in interactive community engagement and education programs that reach across generations, demographics and circumstance to serve Los Angeles.
# # #
March 24, 2020