Revving up for RADAR L.A., theatre on the ‘Fringe’ and more theatre news
The stories theatre lovers have been talking about this week.
1. RADAR 2013 coming in September, featuring Britain's Complicite by David Ng [LATimes.com]
June 12, 2013
The second edition of RADAR L.A. — the Los Angeles festival dedicated to contemporary theater from around the world — is scheduled to begin Sept. 24 and will feature a number of prestigious companies, including the critically acclaimed British group Complicite. ...
2. 3 Small Shows With Big Dreams in the Hollywood Fringe Fest by Lyle Zimskind [LAist.com]
June 19, 2013
The annual Hollywood Fringe Festival is back in its fourth edition with around 200 shows running day and night in over 20 theater venues, all in one neighborhood, through the end of the month. The quality and content of the productions vary wildly, but tickets are cheap ...
3. Summer's Top 40 by Richard Guzman, Jon Regardie and Ryan Vaillancourt [LADowntownNews.com]
June 18, 2013
The 40 Concerts, Shows, Exhibits, Events and More That Will Dominate the Downtown [Los Angeles] Cultural Scene ...
4. Review: 'revolver' nails bull's-eye at Celebration Theatre by David C. Nichols [LATimes.com]
June 18, 2013
A potent charge of relevant provocation propels "revolver" at the Celebration Theatre. In the final production at its longtime venue, L.A.'s flagship gay theater scores a profoundly affecting bull's-eye with Chris Phillips' incisive study of violence and forgiveness, as expressed in societal, personal and even eternal terms. ...
5. California's new state budget reduces arts funding 7.6% by Mike Boehm [LATimes.com]
June 15, 2013
Arts advocates who tried to throw a touchdown bomb in Sacramento this spring were sacked for a los instead Friday as the California Legislature passed a $234-billion budgget that cuts funding for the state's arts grant-making agency 7.6%. ...