Kids of all ages got to pull back the curtain on the exciting world of Rodger's + Hammerstein's Cinderella during a recent backstage tour for CTG donors led by Assistant Company Manager, Jose Solivan. Donors and their families enjoyed an intimate experience with the show as they wandered through the dressing area to sneak a look at Cinderella's glass slippers, ascended the grand staircase and explored the set pieces. They also heard exclusive behind-the-scenes information. Here’s just a sample of what they learned:
- The dresses the actresses wear weigh 15 to 27 pounds!
- You'll have to see the show yourself to experience a giant "enchanted creature" the crew lovingly nicknamed "Joan." To maintain the magic, our guests were not allowed to photograph it.
- The whole show takes only 4 1/2 hours to load out of the Ahmanson. When the run here is complete, the production will head out on a Sunday into 6 trucks, arrive at a new theatre the next day, and be ready for the cast to arrive on Tuesday.
- Many of the scene changes are run by sophisticated machines called automatons. Many are given nicknames, including three characters from Gilligan's Island: The Professor, Mary Ann and Ginger
- The production is booked with tour dates throughout all of 2016.
The Los Angeles engagement of Rodger's + Hammerstein's Cinderella is generously supported in part by Toyota and Artistic Director’s Circle members Olivia and Anthony Neece.